Jefferson Parish School Board Millage
Jefferson Parish School System passed a resolution for an 8.45 mill property tax to be voted on by Jefferson Parish voters on Saturday, November 18, 2017. This millage will be dedicated solely to Jefferson Parish employee pay raises. With its passing, district employees’ salaries will increase as follows:
- $4,000 for certified teachers
- $3,000 for employees whose position’s average annual salary is over $20,000 or more
- 10% increase for employees whose average annual salary is less than $20,000.
- Jefferson Parish School System is the largest school system in the state of Louisiana.
- The school system ranks 26th in the state and last in the 8 surrounding parishes when it comes to starting teacher pay.
- With the pay raise the school system would move up to 5th in the state and 2nd in the surrounding parishes.
- Jefferson Parish has lost over 1,000 employees last school year alone.
- Right now Jefferson parish has over 130 (60 teacher) positions open, St. John has 35 (21 teacher) open positions, St. Tammany has 5 (4 teacher) open positions, and St. Charles has 5 (1 teacher) open positions.
- Many of the support staff positions in Jefferson parish start off around $16,500 and under. The surrounding parishes start off at more than $20,000 annually.
- With this pay raise the school system can be more competitive with the surrounding parishes and have the ability to recruit and retain highly qualified teachers and school employees.
How much will this affect Homeowners?
If you are a homeowner and your house is worth $200,000 then you will pay $105.63 year which equates to about $2.04 a week.
It’s all about investing into Jefferson Parish Public Schools. Right now Jefferson Parish pays some of the lowest mills (property tax) when it comes to educational resources.
- Jefferson Parish 22.91 mills
- St. Charles 55.76 mills
- St. Tammany 68.16 mills
- Caddo 74.66 mills
- Early voting for the November 18 election is November 3-11, 2017 from 8:30-6:00 pm.
1221 Elmwood Park Blvd, Room 502 (Harahan)
5001 Westbank Expressway Ste. C-2 (Marrero)
408 Minor Street (Kenner)
- Sample ballot can be found on the Secretary of State’s website or by downloading the GeauxVote app to your mobile device.
- We are asking for everyone to please get out and early vote because many people will be leaving town for the Thanksgiving break on November 18.
- Polls for the November 18th election will be open from 7am-8pm.
Support public education by taking five of your family and/or friends to go vote.